[Updated 2021/04/22 with additional cables and adapters]
If you search Amazon or another major retailer for USB-C -> DisplayPort or USB-C -> HDMI adapters, there are dozens to choose from. >99% are single direction with the source/host PC intended to be connected to the USB-C end and the sink/monitor to be connected with the DisplayPort or HDMI end.
What if you need to go the other way? For example, how do you connect a USB-C-only monitor to a PC that only has DisplayPort or HDMI?
Get the right cable that supports bi-directional or reverse signaling. These cables are considerably more expensive than typical cables since they have several integrated circuits inside to handle both directions. For example, the StarTech cables combine a Via VL170, a Chrontel CH7213C, and a TI TUSB544.
DP 1.4 <—> USB-C cables/adapters (full size DP)
With DP 1.4 / HBR3 support, these are the most capable and future-proof offerings:
- Cable Creation CD0738 (2m length) (~$20)
- Club 3D CAC-1557 8K60 (2m length) (~$35)
- Delock 85813 (1.5m length) (~$60)
- Infinnet 8K-ready 2m length) (~$40)
- Infinnet 8K-ready (0.5m length) (~$30)
- Moshi 99MO084102 5K60 (1.5m length) (~$45)
- Startech CDP2DP141MBD 8K30 (1m length) (~$37)
- Startech CDP2DP142MBD 8K30 (2m length) (~$40)
- VisionTek 901288 (2m length) (~$30)
DP1.2 <—> USB-C cables/adapters (full size DP)
- AmazonBasics UTC-DP-B-L (1m or 2m lengths) (~$16)
- MonoPrice 139240 (2m length) (~$30)
- Startech CDP2DP1MBD 4K60 (1m length) (~$33)
- Startech CDP2DP2MBD 4K60 (2m length) (~$33)
- Tripp Lite U444-066-DP-BD (2m length) (~$33)
DP 1.2 -> USB-C (single direction)
- DeLock DP -> USB-C adapter 63928 (~$30) (20cm length)
- Belkin cable for Huawei VR (DP + 2x USB-A -> USB-C) (~$95)
What about HDMI/DVI?
Several brands offer HDMI -> USB-C or HDMI -> DP cables but they are single-direction aka “reverse” only. Many include a USB A plug for power (not data). Many of these adapters are based on the Lontium LT6711 chipset. To use DVI, just combine with a DVI->HDMI adapter.
HDMI -> USB-C (single direction)
- Club3D CAC-1332 (~$35)
- DeLock 63251 (~$55)
- Goovis Young HDMI adapter (~$50)
- Siig CB-H21711-S1 (~$46)
- UGreen CM323 (~$35)
HDMI -> DP (single direction)
- Benfei 000308grey ($27)
- Club3D CAC-1331 ($41)
- DeLock 63206 ($38)
- Ferissa HDMIDP ($29)
- Foinnex H-DP ($34)
- Foinnex H-DPF ($33)
- Cable Matters 103069 ($35)
- goFanco HDMIDP ($35)
- QGeeM 4336291398 ($27)
- Tripp Lite P130-06N-DP-V2 ($40)
- Visiontek 900822 ($35)
- Wacom Link Plus adapter ACK42819 (~$70)
What about MiniDP?
Just use a MiniDP->DP adapter with one of the full-size DP options above. Or the Wacom Link:
- Wacom Link Plus ACK42819 (~$70)- combines HDMI or mDP + USB-A/micro-USB into USB-C (USB 2.0 speeds only)
- Wacom Link adapter ACK42719 (~$60) (mDP + USB 2.0 -> USB-C)
Let me know in the comments if you know of any other brands of bi-directional cables/adapters and what you’re using them for.