[Updated 2021/09/05 with additional cables and adapters]
If you search Amazon or other major retailers for USB-C -> DisplayPort or USB-C -> HDMI adapters, there are hundreds to choose from. But >99% only work in one direction with the USB-C side connected to the PC and the other end to the monitor.
What if you need the reverse? For example, how do you connect a USB-C-only monitor to a PC that only has DisplayPort or HDMI?
Get the right cable that supports bi-directional or reverse signaling. These cables are more expensive than typical cables since they have several integrated circuits inside to handle both directions. For example, the StarTech cables combine a Via VL170, a Chrontel CH7213C, and a TI TUSB544. Other models use the Cypress CYPD2119.
DP 1.4 <–> USB-C cables
With DP 1.4 / HBR3 support, these are the most capable and future-proof offerings capable of 4K120 or better. Particulars vary so read the fine print and user reviews.
- Accell U243C-006B-2 (2m length) (~$18)
- Cable Creation CD0738 (2m) (~$22)
- Club 3D CAC-1557 (2m) (~$30)
- Delock 85813 (1.5m) (based on Parade/Fresco chipset; may no longer be available)
- Infinnet 2m 8K / 0.5m 8K (2m or 0.5m) (may no longer be available)
- Moshi 99MO084102 (1.5m) (~$60)
- Startech CDP2DP141MBD / CDP2DP142MBD (1m or 2m) (~$35) (some customers report receiving uni-directional versions)
- VisionTek 901288 (2m) (~$30)
DP1.2 <–> USB-C adapters/cables
These are limited to 4K60.
- DeLock 63928 (20cm) (~$30) (single direction only)
- AmazonBasics UTC-DP-B-L (1m or 2m) (~$16)
- Belkin cable for Huawei VR (4.5m) (~$95) (DP + 2x USB-A -> USB-C single direction only)
- MonoPrice 139240 (2m) (~$22)
- Startech CDP2DP1MBD / CDP2DP2MBD (1m or 2m) (~$34)
- Tripp Lite U444-066-DP-BD (2m) (~$33) (some customers report receiving uni-directional versions)
MiniDP -> USB-C adapters
- Use a generic MiniDP->DP adapter with one of the full-size DP options above
- Wacom Link ACK42719 (mDP + USB 2.0 -> USB-C – single direction only) (no longer available)
- Wacom Link Plus ACK42819 (HDMI/mDP + USB 2.0 -> USB-C – single direction only) (~$70)
HDMI 2.1 -> USB-C/DP 1.4a adapters/cables
Availability expected in Q1 2022; based on the Lontium LT6711GX chipset supporting 4K120.
HDMI 2.0 -> USB-C adapters (single direction)
Several brands offer HDMI -> USB-C or HDMI -> DP cables but they are single-direction aka “reverse” only. Many include a USB A plug for power (not data) and are based on the Lontium LT6711 chipset (datasheet). These are limited to DP 1.2 alt mode with 4K60 resolution.
- Club3D CAC-1332 (~$35) (requires MicroUSB power)
- DeLock 63251 (~$55) (requires MicroUSB power)
- Goovis Young HDMI adapter (~$50) (has USB-C power input port to send 10W PD (5V @ 2A) to the USB-C output for VR displays)
- Siig CB-H21711-S1 (requires microUSB power)
- UGreen CM323 (~$40) (requires microUSB power)
HDM 1.4 -> USB-C adapters (single direction)
- Wacom Link Plus ACK42819 (HDMI/mDP + USB 2.0 data -> USB-C – requires 45W+ USB-C power brick) (~$70)
HDMI 2.0 -> DP 1.2 adapters/cables (single direction)
Similar to the HDMI -> USB-C adapters, most of these are also based on the Lontium LT6711 chipset, require external USB power and are capable of up to 4K60.
- Benfei 000308grey (~$27) (requires USB-A for power)
- Cable Connection CD0764 (~$30) (requires USB-A for power)
- Cable Matters 103099 (~$38) (requires USB-A for power)
- Club3D CAC-1331 (~$37) (requires USB-A for power)
- DeLock 63206 (~$38) (requires microUSB for power)
- Ferissa HDMIDP (~$29) (requires USB-A for power)
- Foinnex H-DPF (~$33) (requires USB-A for power)
- Siig CB-H21811-S1 (~$34) (requires microUSB for power)
- BolAAzul 0731630925103 (2m) (~$29) (requires USB-A for power)
- Foinnex H-DP (2m) (~$34) (requires USB-A for power)
HDMI 1.4 -> DP 1.2 cables/adapters (single direction)
These are limited to 4K30 or 1440p60. Most require external USB power. Those that do not require power are more likely to have compatibility issues.
- Cable Connection CD0763 (~$25) (requires USB-A for power)
- Cable Matters 103069 (~$35) (requires USB-A for power)
- goFanco HDMIDP (~$35) (requires USB-A for power)
- QGeeM 4336291398 (~$27) (requires USB-A for power)
- Tripp Lite P130-06N-DP-V2 (~$40) (requires USB-A for power)
- BolAAzul DPHM6 (2m) (~$24) (No external power required)
- Visiontek 900822 (1m) (~$35) (No external power required)
What about DVI?
To use DVI, just combine on of the above options with a DVI->HDMI adapter.
Please let me know of any other bi-directional cables/adapters and what you’re using them for.