I use all sorts of quirky hacks for GPU driver diagnostics. I found the new Windows 10 ETL log file process cumbersome and the Update Catalog limiting when I just needed to know driver download URLs. In %windir%logsWindowsUpdate there are several ETL log files. To find all the URLs of drivers that have been downloaded, run a regular expression match like “h t t p : / / .* d r i v e r.*. c a b” against those files. Then remove the spaces from the strings to reveal the exact URLs used to download and install drivers.
Here is a more involved hack that cleans up the local Windows Update cache, removes drivers for a particular device, and forces the latest available Windows Update driver to be installed.
Flush local Windows Update cache (use admin cmd prompt and backup first!):
- net stop wuauserv
- del /s /q %windir%SoftwareDistribution*.*
- del /s /q %windir%LogsWindows Update*.etl
Uninstall current device driver(s):
- Start – device manager
- Open Display adapters
- Right-click on the device – for example the AMD Radeon R9
- Click Uninstall
- At the prompt, ensure that “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.
- Click OK
- Wait until the driver is uninstalled
- On the Action menu click “scan for hardware changes”
- The device now comes up with a Yellow-mark over it indicating a driver could not be found. If an older driver was found and installed, you can uninstall that too and repeat until the only thing left is the Microsoft Basic display adapter (MSBDA).
Start Windows Update service (use admin cmd-prompt):
- net start wuauserv
Install latest available Windows Update driver:
- Start – device manager
- Right-click on the device and click “Update Driver software”
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”
- Wait for driver update to complete
- Open %windir%logsWindowsUpdate
- Open the .etl file in notepad (if there is more than one log, open the larger one)
- Search for “. c a b” and find the last match in the file
- For example, in my .etl file the last match was: “h t t p : / / f g . d s . d o w n l o a d . w i n d o w s u p d a t e . c o m / d / m s d o w n l o a d / u p d a t e / d r i v e r / d r v s / 2 0 1 5 / 0 5 / 2 0 0 0 0 5 5 9 1 _ c d f 3 4 8 e 7 9 4 e f 7 d f c 0 c 4 a c 4 3 e a 7 e 4 5 e e f a a 2 7 2 2 4 b . c a b“
- Remove spaces from the string to get the URL: http://fg.ds.download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/05/200005591_cdf348e794ef7dfc0c4ac43ea7e45eefaa27224b.cab
- Remove the regional datacenter prefix “fg.ds”: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/05/200005591_cdf348e794ef7dfc0c4ac43ea7e45eefaa27224b.cab
- This is the direct download link to the 15.200.1023.0003 AMD WDDMv2/DirectX12 driver for Windows 10 x64 that will work for anybody in the world.